Have you ever had one of those cravings that you can’t hold back, and so you run to a bakery to order your favourite treat?
You choose a comfortable seat, order your dessert and your coffee and look forward to giving yourself a well-deserved treat after a hard day’s work… relaxing music, all the fragrances that emanate from the place: freshly toasted bread and brewed coffee from the machine, fruit essences, chocolate and vanilla smells filling the air.
After 5 minutes, you get your dessert and coffee, your mouth is watering before trying the first bite. When you taste it, it turns out that it is not what you expected.
You feel the hard and dry biscuit, the cream a little sour, and it lacks sugar. The perfect break moment has been ruined. Maybe the mixes with low-quality ingredients, and that is enough to upset the entire effort.
So in PPC campaigns, keywords are the critical ingredient that you mix and prepare. When keywords are not properly grouped, the entire mixture — and campaign — can be lost..
For some people, after all the work it takes to research and strategy around keywords, and after setting goals, getting conversion tracking in place, and then matching those keywords up, they get to building everything out…
But things don’t perform as expected:
Perhaps after a quick search in the browser, they might see two ads competing with each other for the same word — multiple times (cannibalization).
Or, they realize that they do not know what to do with so many words or how to divide them up efficiently between the campaigns. Should they place the same words for different ads or is it better to categorize them separately?
All these elements seem simple, but they can have a significant impact on your ads, campaign and goals.
This is where keyword grouping comes to save the day!
Why do I need Keyword Grouping?
Keyword grouping is a great way to enhance the quality of your content and keyword organization.
After building ads tailored to customers’ needs, you not only need to show it to them at the right time, but they have to be relevant so users can click on it. Grouping Keywords is an excellent way to organize your ads and campaigns into different categories that serve different search queries.
By grouping your keywords, you can:
- Better understand – and target user intent
- Maximize the number of keywords to rank for
- Remove unnecessary keywords
- Understand the potential of ad segments
- Boost your site’s visibility and authority
- Save time and eliminate errors
By increasing your ads relevance with Keyword Grouping, you lay the foundations to build successful and more cost-effective campaigns as it helps you increase your Quality Score.
But what is exactly Keyword Grouping?
In PPC we call Keyword Grouping the process of categorizing semantically related keywords into groups to distribute them throughout ads and pages to drive organic or paid traffic.
What benefit will I get when grouping my keywords?
- More Quality-Score-friendly ad groups
- More relevant text ads
- More effective landing pages that drive more conversions
- Better ad cost efficiency/effectiveness and potential success
So, how do I start with Keyword Grouping?
Like so many PPC techniques, keyword grouping is a sequence of steps that have to be followed in order to get the best results possible.
1. Do Keyword Research: The first step should be collect as many keywords as possible related to your niche
2. Create Top-Level Keyword Groups: These contain the differentiating term for your business offerings.
3. Create smaller Sub-Groups: The next step consists of segmenting top-level groups into more groups until they are targeted and smaller to create a hierarchy.
4. Optimize your keyword groups: After the hierarchy is set, you can add variables; this will help to further specify the target audience.
5. Iterate and re-iterate: The key for a successful PPC strategy involves a continuous research-testing-insight approach.
Put Your Keyword Groups to Good Use
You can take advantage of Keyword Grouping by using them to discover what content to create and what possible changes you can make about your site.
You can create content, update existing content, improve your site structure and get ideas for additional pages to include, taxonomy (classifications/categories) to add, or topical areas to explore in your website.
Based on the groups you get as a result, you can develop your site’s page hierarchy, categories and subcategories, filters, etc.
And, you can do the same with your ad campaigns as ad groups are created in a similar way keyword groups are.
How Keyword groups & ad groups work?
An ad group is a group of ads and keyword phrases that trigger those ads in Google Ads.
Within an ad group, your text ads are tied to your keywords. When someone searches for something that matches up with your keyword, one of the ads tied to this keyword is served to the consumer. The closer your keywords are related to each other, the more relevant that ad will be.
On the other hand, a campaign is one or more ad groups.
How To Group Your Keywords In Your Ads:
You have two main options when it comes to organizing your campaigns.
1. Build campaigns based on high-level criteria by separating them into large groups according to the most critical shared characteristics.
2. Build your campaigns around high-level differentiators in your business, like categories of products or services.
Ad Group Best Practices:
- Cluster your desired keywords by themes as narrowly as reasonably possible
- Each group supports different ads. A good way to guide ad group structure is based on the copy you expect to run in each case.
- Sometimes, a small handful of keywords may command lots of traffic or more share of the results. In this case you may separate them into multiple groups so these “power keywords” with other terms are housed in others.
- Once you have your ad group strategy, consider match types and how audience needs can impact ad text approach before creating your group structure, and then evaluate landing pages needs.
If you’re still not sure about how your keyword groups should looks like or which would be the better way to meet your goals, click the link below:
Final words about Keyword Grouping:
Keyword Grouping is a powerful PPC tool that will help you organize your ads and campaigns, rank for more terms, and reduce your Cost Per Click.
Keyword grouping not only helps you solve for other time-wasting tactics, but it lets you set and arrange more Quality–Score-friendly ad groups, making your ads much more relevant in the process — and driving more conversions.
They may feel complicated and cumbersome at first, but trust us, they’re worth the effort, and you’ll get the swing of them in just a few campaigns!
And just think, you’ll be providing the right kind of ad experience for people, as if they were coming into your bakery. The ingredients rightly prepared, you’ll definitely keep them coming for what you have on offer!